Thursday, November 22, 2007

The challenge of being Canadian...we just don't get it.

"This is not a racist party. It is a German party. We want Germany to stay German and we do not want to be overwhelmed by invaders or intruders"

That quote comes from a troubling article on BBC today, and its funny how as a Canadian I think I am ill-prepared to face these sorts of issues. For me I don’t understand how any land, any area cannot be anyone’s area. It is almost as if the confusion/complexion by the Natives when the Europeans first arrived and tried to buy the land has become ingrained in my Canadian sentiment and understanding of the world. In Canada, everyone—except terrorists (and sometimes even terrorists)—is welcome. And they aren’t just welcome with certain conditions. They are welcome with open arms New Canadians aren't welcome to fill jobs old(er)-Canadians don’t want to do (as if there is such a thing); they aren't welcome to bolster some part of our economy; they aren’t welcome because our birthrate is low and we need someone to take care of us as we grow older; they are welcome to come be Canadian, to come join the quilt. If that is to be a factory worker, so be it; a cab driver, so be it; a doctor, so be it (I wish it were easier for them too); a carer for a family member...the world is welcome, with the only condition that you come and join us in what ever facet you are capable of. So when I read statements like the one above, made by a German MP, I just don't know how to understand, I am ill prepared to understand that some places I guess aren't open. As if new people will change what it inherently is. As if by living in Korea I somehow make this place less Korean. Or by living in Germany or Japan i some how dilute the history and traidition of the place. But i chuckle, because by living in Canada I, and everyone like me, make that place more Canadian.

A similar phenomenon is being reported about in Japan. That they see their birthrate is low so they want to bring in foreigners to fill low-wage, low-skill jobs. Korea as well, believes that foreigners can only come to fill an economic role in society, but not to really join in. It’s as if we are only welcome on a short term contract. So for example the only way I would really be welcome to stay in Korea would be to marry a Korean man. I couldn’t marry another foreigner and live here…it would just be too weird. I would be invading, intruding where I am not really that welcome.
So, how to face this? I’m not really sure. But I suppose recognizing it is a first step.

No comments: