Monday, January 14, 2008

New virus, old tricks

I find it interesting, I made a silent note maybe three months ago, because i now work on two computers. It never occured to me before that all systems get the same updates at the same time, till I had to update at work, only to arrive home to find my laptop wanted some too. But having gone through the update twice, i guess it stuck in my mind maybe a week later when i first read "new virus warning" on BBC. I though smuggly to myself, i know im updated and patched; i had to do it last week...twice. Then again last month, patches came in, my two machines burbled, a week later i read "new virus warning" and again today, a week since the update warnings started here it is the Mebroot stealth virus that installs other programs on your comp and steals banking information.

I think its nice BBC is watching out for us, but it still makes me feel a bit spooky. Is there an agenda of reminds that the BBC has, don't forget we need to remind our readers to update, but we don't want to nag them, just keep them aware that patching is important. maybe.

Still, the culture of scaring us into action is getting a little old. And so i'm trying, perhaps a little resolution, not to act out of fear. I watched "Who killed the electric car last night" and while i usually have a fairly predictable knee jerk reaction to these sorts of docudramas, i found myself strangly calm. Not all excited about some new threat, some new possibility, some new project. Just, thanks for the information. I still prefer to travel in self propelled vehicles anyway.

Although, i must slithly say i do remember the ads for electric cars (i loved them, they were so stark and unusually, that was a time i considered advertising as a nice thing to do with my time) i do also remember the swing away from them, the sudden villanous turn on the poor machines as no better than the gas guzzler. I think i had a debat on it in highschool. i remember especially my indignation when the hummer came out. THinking, could we have gone any further in the other direction, even if the electric car is as bad as a regular car this monster is worse that 10 of them together. [i admit i was insulted by the tax breaks for the hummer, that is sick]

Two things the docudrama did highligh for me: More disappointment has come out of california than any other state. They have, it seems, always had the best brightest most progressive ideas, and they have also managed to mangel destroy and booby trap everyone of those ideas with extreme efficiency. Second, that Detroit is i think the most let down city in the world. I think infact as a place a collective of people Detroit has been cheated out of more than anyone (including younger siblings taken as a whole, the people of cambodia, very child who has ever been hungry, and people who expected X3 to live up to its prequels).

I don't think there is an american docudrama that doesn't highlight the every way Detroit has be given more false candy than any other city in the country. How it has time and again be forced to remain in its pseudo slum nearly big city way it was while i lived so close. (i'm now regretting not taking more advantage of the gifts that city has to offer...except that it is still part of America...a place im not to fond of...in the way lots of people just aren't to keen on visiting Pakistan)

If California has been the hub of great ideas, Detroit has been the home of the reality of their suppression.

how did i get into this film review...sorry. Anyway, this fear stuff is i don't know...is it getting old? It works clearly. or maybe it doesn't, maybe i had already updated my computer when i got the warning. Maybe i had already switched to self-propelled transport when the electric car died. Maybe i already had a deep skepticism for the US when two planes lost track of time in the side of two towers. Maybe no one tried to scare me into doing anything, the scare came after the fact...after the act...after the attack i was already prepared for...maybe.

No comments: