Saturday, September 19, 2009

multilingual and hyperlingual

I don't know the word for them, but I think I will call them hyperlinguists. I think I am one of this group. These are people who have a poor ability to articulate something simplistically. Like that, for example...

I wonder if hyperlinguiticness could be classified as some sort of condition. I know in some autism type disorders there are ways of classifying language skills that have to do with an inability to express ones emotions in a "normal" way. I wonder if I could research hyperlinguisticality in perfectly healthy people? But then, I wonder, what would be the point of that research? I suppose to eventually publish a paper in some magazine, or journal, as hyperlinguistic people like to call them. And make a whimsically TED presentation on the matter, that will make all the hyperlinguists in the audience, chortel noisily, and some of the more normal people smirk quietly. And in both the presentation and the paper I shall say something to the point of "Isn't hyperlinguisticness a terrifically interesting topic and shouldn't we all spend a great deal more time thinking about it and posting blogs that no one reads on the topic"

Of course, no one doesn't read this blog. But you do. Although, if I am good at researching...or maybe if i am not good at it (I forget which way round it goes) I should find something more about this puzzling condition than I have already hypothosized about. This i will lay out next.

These days I spend a great deal of time speaking Japanese badly. I don't mind too much, except for the part of me that has a burning desire to express myself in plays on words and puns and all kinds of twists of spoken talk. This week I have had a string of nasty nightmares about going deaf. But in each of them I couldn't explain to anyone that the reason I had gone deaf was because I couldn't say what i wanted to say the way I wanted to say it.

this is hyperlinguistic behaviour. The part that puts a great deal of effort into how things are said. The part that reserves speeche acts until they are beautifully scuplted. and also that part that desires to talk and talk until well more talking cannot be had.

I think i just miss talking about things of consequence. As I said, i mostly speak japanese badly. I think I will study some interesting Japanese words like precipitation and neurological...so i can say something really smart, soon.

No comments: