Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Would you go to the moon?

I have been thinking about space travel quite a lot recently. Space travel as well as categorical thinking. You see, if you ask people would they pay to go to the moon, most people would say no. Categorically. For a number of very good reasons. Like for example, going to the moon seems to be extraoridnarily dangerous. Most of us don't consider the view worth the risk that we won't return. Or that we will get some kind of illness from the sun rays or this sort of thing. The latter fear probably being completely unfounded. But we don't know. And lack of information is as good a reason as any to be afraid of something.

To which I say, okay, if it were safe, and your return to earth (should you wish to return) garunteed, and there were no serious health implications aside from th muscle atrophy or what ever it is that makes you have to be put in a wheel chair when you get back to earth...would you pay to go to the moon. Still most people would say no. The reason being, going to the moon seems to be extraordinarily expensive. People say, if I had enough money to go to the moon, I would go everywhere on earth first. And build a huge house, with swimming pools and discos and have lots of friends who come and see me.

To which I say, okay, well what if you could go to the moon for $20,000... This is about the cost of a university education. What if it were less. Only $5,000. or $2,000. Or how about you have the billions of dollars, you have been all over earth, done everything from fasting in the tibetian mountains to million dollar shopping sprees in Qatar to sitting at the 0 yardline at the Super Bowl...taken dinner with Angelina Jolie and Nelson Mandela...how about then...

Usually people stop and start to think now. Start to say...well maybe then...but.

But usually the answer is still almost always a categorical no. Moon = a place i don't want to go.

But here is the thing. If someone on TV went to moon and found some little animal or something that was very adorable or breathes fire or something. I bet then you would want to go.

I think the main reason people don't want to go to the moon, is the belief that it isn't very interesting. It is like going to Siberia or the middle of the Sahara. Very hot or cold. Lots of rocks and sand. Maybe a beautiful sunset or something. But I guess the fact that the sun only sets once a month and once it does you are in complete darkness is a bit unsettling.

The moon is a place for doing science experiments, like proving Gallileo was write, or playing golf (which in my opinion is the least interesting sport in the universe)...not much of a tourist destination. So I guess I understand why most people don't want to go. I mean, would you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would go in a heartbeat, even without all the conditions you listed. Just to look back and see the earth, it must be a great place for philosophical contemplation, not to mention returning and being able to tell people, "I walked on the MOON" (see Bryan Regan's stand-up comedy "I walked on the Moon" here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2F_3BS6QSY - at 3:08) :D