Thursday, April 03, 2008

All the wrong reasons

I get all hot and bothered when I read about the incredible damage humankind all by themselves are doing to this planet. I mean I know we suck and all, but we are not the only factor...I mean how could we be. And this is what gets me so upset. The fact that it seems we scientists, academics and people who want to know more can't quite accept. No matter how much more we know, we can't know everything. We can't account for it all.

I think if we could accept that one point, or concede that one point, or somehow manage to bring within our grasp that one point, we would recognize that we should just proceed with caution. This doesn't mean, stop progressing. That is dumb.

Don't just stop using oil, or stop using electricity, or stop buying everything, or stop being part of the human race. It just mean's procede with caution. With each progressive step assess does this work, how well does it work. Does this put myself or my family under unnecessary risk? Does this put my city or country at risk? Does this put strangers at risk? What about the water I drink...does it affect that? Does it impact on my favourite places to walk and play?

If my answer is I don't know...well I should have a look around as see. If the answer is maybe...well then I should have a look, but also keep in mind I should look for new ways too...just in case. If the answer is yes...well then I should ask then do I really want to be using it. And if the answer is proudly loudly no, then I should still look around, continue finding new ways, because everything is always subject to change, or rather everything is change. Always.

But here is the thing. We need to be real about that...we need to start globally embracing the possiblity that we can and do change. Maybe. That whatever our impacts and affects, big or small, they are subject to change. They are going to change. So lets stop arguing about the affects and impacts and look for the most exciting ways to going about changing. It's evolution baby.

No comments: