Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bruce Lipton

Okay, so I haven't done a tone of thinking yet, but I am so filled with excitement about what I am learning that I want to share some of it now. I think I have turned a bit into one of these instant gratifaction people...but anyway.

Bruce Lipton is a I dunno, doctor researchy scientist type person...maybe he is a religious guy too, that hasn't come up yet but it probably will as I learn more.

Anyway he gave this wonderful lecture that finally brought me back to biology. I love biology. I always have. Natural history, the functions of life, generation and decay, ecology all of it is delicious to me. I love learning about it, reading about it, thinking about it. But at some point during my formal education something happened that made me greatly dislike the discourse. That was the doctrinal methodolgies and pedagogies through which it is transmitted to children. I looked at the world, I listened to and read about the explanations but I always felt they were like fairytales, sort of pointings towards a lesson. Although my teachers maintained them as pathways to truth.

I guess being an apostate person I am always a bit suspicious of anyone who claims this is THE pathway to truth. I am certain there are many. In Dr Liptons talk, he shows how the metaphoric language of biology (along with a few errors in word choice along the way) have caused the entire scientific and lay community alike to accept something as true that in fact is fundementally flawed. That is that DNA is the brain, the core, the starting point of life.

He shows a great flow chart that I am all to familiar with that is used again and again to show that everything that happens in your cells starts from DNA.

the chart goes DNA-->RNA-->Protein--->activity.

and I always hated this chart because life is never ever ever ever linear. There is nothing about life the flows linearly. It is a series and cyclically positive and negative feedback cycles. DNA doesn't just start doing things all by it self. Have certain DNA doesn't cause cancer for example. It is merely correlated with cancer. This was the first major error in word choice. Cause and correlate DO NOT MEAN THE SAME THING. DNA has to be turned on. Something my many teachers would say from time to time and then completely ignore. It struck me often that they would say it all starts with DNA, something turns on the DNA and then...uh...wait a second...you just said it starts with DNA and it starts with something before DNA....well which is it. And as we can both see it is the latter why aren't we talking about that "something."

Anyway, Dr Lipton gives a great explanation about why we must change our medical paradigm, we must shift our view of biology and the role of DNA. That not only is DNA not the source of life, but it is also not the cause of illness. Sure it is very strongly correlated with illness, but the truth is our beliefs about illness, our perceptions of our health our world, and the environments we foster for ourselves to live in are far more important than what is written in our code.

We should not be victims of our genes, but of our choices. We want scapegoats, but the truth is if you stop looking for scapegoats you can find the true power, happiness and strength in yourself to be the beautiful person that you are.

It is true you will have no one left to blame but your self when life gives you challenges you think you cannot overcome...but well if you blame no one for those challenges you will find you soon find the strength and resource to tackle any obstacle...in fact the obstacles will soon disappear.

No comments: