Sunday, May 31, 2009

Jam @ Dub

So I had my first slam poetry experience last night. It was really remarkable. I really always thought I would have to prepare and practice and learn and study at it, and spend heaps of time learning how to do it well, but it just all flowed really naturally. Words and ideas came pouring out, in Japanese and English all muddled in together. It was this weird and marvelous play of me understanding and the audience just listening and me just listening and the audience understanding. Although i don't think I said anything really profound in Japanese...just that it was raining and everyone was smiling...and something like that...

I am left again with this amazing sense that the only reason we might think we can't do something is that we have never done it before. And you know what...I'm going to stop saying I'm no good at stuff just because I have never been good at it before. I'm just going to slam. To try. To sing out and flow with the notes and rhythms of the people around me.

Because precedent is a terrible predictor of potential. And potential is all that we really have until we are dead. That's the second law of entropy isn't it.

No comments: