Thursday, May 14, 2009

Categorical fear

"I am afraid of x out of 72 common fears" Another recent FB thing to post about where you can play make believe that you have said something or written something novel without overworking your creativity muscles and pretend you aren't just showing your friends another postcard you bought at an overpriced gift shop at a tourist attraction that looked better on paper than in life... But it peeked my interest. 72 things that people are afraid of...I wonder if I am people, so I had a read. But as I read down the list it occurred to me that I am not exactly categorically afraid of anything. For example, I am not afraid of heights. But there are times when I am in high places when I get the sudden feeling that I have left a bit of chocolate on the counter at home and that it would be wise to go and eat it, rather than be in this particular high place. But generally, i rather enjoy being high, especially when it involves jumping down or trees or rocks and that sort of thing. Or sometimes when I am poking a dead thing with a stick and something comes crawling out in a fastish manner I think i wish I hadn't been poking that dead thing just then, and then have a nightmare about it. But I'm not afraid of fastish things, even in my food. I'll eat whatever, that doesn't scare me. Or other times when I am in a car with strangers and it is becoming increasingly apparent that they didn't have "favourite things" in mind when they invited me into their car. And then I worry I will have to join a cult...sometimes maybe I am categorically afraid of joining cults. I really don't want to do that. I often face the reality that this stranger is taking me to church...again when i really just wanted to climb a tree or eat some bugs. But that doesn't stop me from getting into cars with strangers, or from talking to strangers on the bus, train, street, in the grocery store, at the library...where ever I happen to run into one. And so I think that categorical fear is a silly and outdated way of experiencing the world. Haven't we learned yet that all of one category are always different? Haven't we learned the power of context and content? Hasn't it sunk in to our collective belief system that there isn't really any such thing as a category, as a general rule, that really we just want to experience or we are afraid to experience and that's silly...we don't need to be afraid to experience because the worst possible outcome is your experience will kill you, and death is nothing to be afraid of.

No comments: