Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Cigarette's and Coffee, hold the coffee

We spent the day washing walls, photographing tattoo’s and cooking. Made an amazing rosemary roast chicken. Jessie, mum’s niece was by for the day and while mum drove Anna back to Littlehampton, we played at granny’s. Played I suppose should be used loosely, cleaned the pond and washed walls is more like it. I can hear my accent shifting a bit already, all my vowels are very long again, its funny to be in England like this. The major thing I find though that makes you sound British, is not the accent but the diction. You call things all sorts of funny stuff, flats, mates, rubbish, lou or lavatory. There are other things too, words you don’t think you know, or wouldn’t think to use normally that just come out. Its very interesting. I think I should like to read about it, about I supposed the psychology of language use, and the compulsion to adopt a diction zone while you habituate it. Its different too, here in the country no one comments on your accent, but I know the cousins in London will be horrid about it. But there are also loads of them, rather than here where there is just Jessie or Joe really. (There’s one…loads…back home I would have said lots or tons, but I wrote loads, it sounded right…anyway). So I’m at Joe’s now (well, Uncle Ian’s really) trying to get on the internet (I’ve been writing in word, since there doesn’t seem to be wireless available at granny’s, but the network won’t recognize me here, I think. It’s weird there are two empty bottles of scotch and an empty Jack Daniel’s in the window. But I swear Joe is just 18…already he is emptying bottles of hard liquor. I suppose its something that comes with much practice, he probably started drinking before I did, even though I think I’m four years older. Well this connection just isn’t going, so I’m going to get on Joe’s computer and try that way. Hope this gets posted eventually. Lady M

No comments: