Sunday, July 15, 2007

Growing sideways

Said so long to my mother this morning. Exhale, we are in this both feet and a full jug of wine. Just me and Gran at home now. She’s getting better and brighter each day, though she sleeps most of the day and night. But that’s expected having spent a month in bed in the hospital with all sorts of drugs and pills and surgical procedures. The doctor’s are very happy though, they are not going to put her through chemotherapy; they believe they got the whole tumour one shot. There is something to be said for being stubborn and always right. If she’d been to see the doctor and had an exam even 6 months ago they would have been all lets go through radiation and surgery and all a big deal. Her way she gets instant emergency surgery, takes care of the whole lot one time, and that is that. Still, it is a reckless way to go about it.
So I’ve missed a few days, and missed some big stories on the way. Thursday (the 12th) we drove up to Marlborough by way of Salisbury. We stopped in at Stonehenge, which was weird, but cool none the less. I think it's odd to pay to see such things, and you weren’t allowed within 15 metres of the thing. Plus there were loads of people all gaggling about, so that was weird too…it seems like it should be a solitary experience. The oddest thing about it is that is doesn’t open until nearly 4 hours after sunrise, and like everything in England (apparently) it closes at 5pm. How does a stone megalith have hours of operation…
Anyway, after the walk around the henge (with the handheld audio tour) we went to Marlborough to visit my mum’s cousin, Virginia. She is just something perfect. She was talking about her brother who has just bought a property for £2.5 million, to which she quickly added she would never go and visit him there. I agree. Although property prices are a fair bit inflated here, I say a two bedroom cottage like my Gran’s advertised for £465,000. Which if it was Canadian dollars I could maybe understand as its kind of a high demand area, but that are in pound sterling…that’s close to a million dollars Canadian for a two bedroom bungalow.
Virginia’s two youngest children Jo and John were there, they are just lovely; so bright and inquisitive and gracious. Plus they had absolutely shocking red hair, just lovely.
We did lots more driving, visited Silbury Hill, which is the tallest man made mound in Europe…or at least in England…but I think it was in Europe. And they are just doing examination of it, and the preliminary findings that are coming out say that it was built in similar fashion to the pyramids, so I think they are looking to see if they can find a grave down there somewhere.

Of course when I’m saying we, I mean mum, me and my cousin Joe. Then it was off to Avebury, which is the real oldest stone ring in Europe. And it’s huge, and there is a city right through the middle of it. And the ring and ditch around it is all sheep pasture. That was lovely, and you could go right up and press your face against them.

That’s about all there is to report for now, my hands are getting sore. Just I walked down the high street today and saw this wonderful British sign, so enjoy. Lady M.

No comments: