Thursday, April 23, 2009

inadequacy and competition

Why do we automatically associate competition with feelings of inadequacy? 

I was reading about yoga competitions. In the first breath of the story I thought, Oh that sounds dreadful. Yoga isn't about competing. But, now, several months removed from the reading I want to revisit that sentiment. It was pretty knee jerk, extrapolating my experience with yoga and assumptions about competition, I came to the conclusion that the two were incompatible, that to compete at yoga would be to do gymnastics or some other activity. But, now I think that to compete at yoga is to take your practice to a different level. I think we always conclude that there are only losers in competitions. That even the top spot is someone only a future loser as someone breaks their records etc. But this is really just an amazingly temporally distorted bit of logic. We neglect all the benefits of competition for the one downfall that it is a temporal (necessarily as it is a thing of humans and we are temporal) and thus surpassable. This is silly. Who gets down on life for being temporal? Who says really "no one gets out alive" thus we shouldn't make any more babies? Who suggests that things are only going to change so what is the point of learning to live now? Competition is an amazing motivator that drives humans to try, to do, and to succeed at things they had not even imagined. When I think of Donovan Bailey's 9.84s 100m race I imagine, he never imagined what it would be like to travel 100m by foot in 9.84 seconds. How could he? He could have some conjectures about it, but no true imagining of it. And this is the wonderful gift that competition gives to us. It drives us to try and to succeed at things that we can't imagine possible. It is that spirit of testing boundries and limits or out doing and out witting others and ourselves that drives progress, innovation and I believe evolution (or it will soon). Without someone to race I am sure I will never run a 10k. I just don't care enough about running (I also don't really like running for longer than 20minutes unless there are tacklings to break up the monotony). What is more, I think, what's the point? But who knows what I will think, how my world view will be effected after I complete a 10k run... I was listening to someone talking about competition being something that we shouldn't really engage because it breeds feelings of inadequacy, ill-will towards others and general feelings of discontentment. He suggested that competition was not good for our souls, in particular, and should be refrained from especially during holy seasons. But I have decided that I wholeheartly disagree. That in fact during holy seasons may be the best times for competitions for those of strong religious conviction. Those are the times that god is closest and most available. And I feel that everytime we do something we never imagines we are with god in that moment. this post doesn't really make sense anymore...hmm anyway competition...yeah...we need to break it from its false association with failure, inadequacy and discontentment. It brings us progress and that is what i wanted to say about that.

No comments: